Dr. Ghei’s ADVISE ON GRASS-FED VERSUS GRAIN-FED MEATS:
While Dr. Ghei promotes a mainly vegetarian (fruits, vegetables, nuts and healthy oils based) diet, but healthy grass-fed lean meats in small amounts can be an important part of balanced nutrition. For the latter we support businesses which practice sustainable farming and avoid harmful additives like hormones and antibiotics, and whose grass-raised animals pass the best of their nutrient-rich diet on to you. Click on the logo for US Wellness Meats below or in the Resources Tab to buy high quality grass-fed meats, grass-fed dairy products, wild caught sea food, condiments etc…..
Grass-fed beef is rich in omega-3 anti-inflammatory fatty acids (the healthy fat found in salmon), in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a proven cancer fighter and lean muscle-building tool, as well as vitamins A and E, essential nutrients that are known for their antioxidant properties. These and other nutrients just don’t show up in grain-fed, feedlot raised, grain-fed animals. Grass-fed animals typically produce two to four times the CLA of their grain-fed counterparts. Grass-fed lamb, goat, bison and dairy animals all have the same digestive properties and same healthy nutrients as is discussed for cattle (beef) above. We recommend U.S. Wellness Meats only because it is a company that promises a commitment to the highest standards of quality and safety.
- They never use pesticides or herbicides on the pastures where their cattle graze.
- They don’t use additives or preservatives of any kind on their meats.
- They never give growth hormones or feed-grade antibiotics to their animals.
- They graze their animals on a careful rotating schedule so that they are always eating the freshest, lushest forage plants. This is also good for the land, since it ensures all forage plants 30 days of rest between grazings.
- They ensure that their animals always drink only clean, pure water.
- They are dedicated to humane, free-range, stress-free animals.